Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Quidding without the Quo

I've obviously been silent here the last few weeks, as I begin to sort out what our new project at the League of Ordinary Gentlemen means for the future of this site. But I haven't been silent everywhere. My most recent piece at the League is up right now, and it discusses the hubub over the contraception provision in the ongoing stimulus package. Money quote:

There is something else important here: there is no principle at stake for Obama in backing away from a provision like this when it is in an unrelated, but “must-pass” bill. If this is a program that Obama ultimately wants to implement (whatever I may think of its merits), he sacrifices no principle by removing it from this legislation and fighting for it later on as a stand-alone program. This willingness to compromise without sacrificing ultimate principles is the epitome of “good” compromise rather than the bipartisanship for the sake of bipartisanship that makes so many of us cringe.


And while I'm here, I may as well point to my other posts at the League:

First, the difference between principles and partisanship. Second, How to put an end to the Malkinization of our political discourse.

Please, check it out - this project of ours at the League is the most exciting thing I've been involved with in the blogosphere, bar none. Hopefully, others will agree.